More potatoes, less bread

So what will focusing on the bulls-eye diet actually mean for me? What changes will I have to make?

Luckily enough, not a lot. I have been trying to eat more locally for a while now, so I already have a foundation for this challenge. I already have my local "farm gate" suppliers of chicken, eggs, cherries (both sweet and sour), apples, pears, corn and beef (hopefully - still working on that one). In addition, there are the local farmer's markets - a great source of things that I'm either not growing, or I don't have enough of. There are also stores in the area that I can source other local meats and fish, and other fruits and veggies. And there is even a local peanut store - homemade peanut butter, anyone?

Yes, peanuts grow here. In fact, I'm probably located in one of the best areas of Canada for a challenge like this. Other than tropicals, almost everything can grow here. Of course, there aren't a huge numbers of grain farmers left in the area - hence I'll be eating more potatoes and less wheat. More winter greens and home-preserved foods, less imported food come winter. More home-grown herbal tea, less hot chocolate (gasp!). More cabbage, less iceberg lettuce.

For me then, the focus won't be so much a change in my diet, but in trying to actually provide more of my food from right here in my backyard (technically side-yard, but whatever!)

Hopefully I'll be expanding the garden this year, from six 4' x 12' beds to twelve. As well, once I get the yard fenced, beds will go in along the fence for herbs, perennial veggies and fruit plants like rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries. Of course, even if I get the fruit planted this year, I won't get a harvest. Small steps :)

The other big change? Season extension. And this past winter really brought home just how much can be done with season extension.


See that? It's a Napa cabbage.  In my garden. Unprotected. On New Year's Day.

It made a great stir-fry.

I realize it was an abnormally warm winter, but even in a normal winter, with protection, I should be able to continue to harvest hardy greens and vegetables for months later than I currently do. Two issues I know I 'll run into are wind and snow load (this is the land of the 5' snowfall, after all!), but I should be able to figure something out.

Now, off to plant the potatoes!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...