$500 Challenge - June Edition

It the time of year that I start harvesting my herbs, and hopefully this year, I'll figure out a good way of drying them.  Of course, once they are dry, I need a place to store them.  And, of course, while I don't want to keep all those little plastic bottles that my store-bought herbs came in, I also don't want to spend a fortune on glass replacements.

Local stores to the rescue!




I found the small ones at the dollar store, for $1.25 each, and the larger ones at the bulk food store for $3.39 each.  20 of the small, and 5 of the large should cover most of my herb storage needs.  Yes, they are made in China, and yes, I could have simply kept and re-used jars from other products.


But I have a guilty little secret - I like pretty things.  I like the idea of opening up a cupboard, and seeing all my home-grown herbs in cute, matching little wire-bail jars.  With my tea herbs in larger ones in the next cupboard over.  And while I do agree we need to make some drastic changes in our lifestyles (or we will be forced to do so eventually), I also know that I'm not perfect, and I'll make up for these guilty little purchases by not doing other things, like having a cell phone, or a large-screen TV, etc.  This journey isn't about perfection, it's about doing what you can, the best you can, and enjoying the trip.  And yes, these wee containers do make me happy :)



Costs: 20 x $1.25 + 5 x $3.39 + $5.45
Total: $47.40
Balance: $121.52

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...