No low fat cooking here!

So, time for another un-recipe.  I came down with the flu this week, and basically haven't eaten much of anything.  I woke up this morning feeling a lot better, and with an incredible craving for bacon and cheese.

Go figure.

Add to that, I've been meaning to try something like this for a while - a grated potato crust quiche thingy, that can be sliced and kept either in the fridge or freezer, and easily re-heated (or eaten cold, for that matter). I know breakfast is an important meal, but I am SO not a morning person, and am liable to grab the easiest thing around, like  a piece of pie, or even chocolate.  So, having a "healthy" option to grab in the mornings is a good thing.


I'm also tempted to try it as individual servings, using a muffin pan, but figured I'd go with cast iron for my first attempt.

Ingredients:

1/2 a pound of bacon.  Yes, this is a lot, but this easily makes 6-8 servings.  Besides, it's bacon.
6 medium sized potatoes
1 medium sized onion
6 eggs
1 cup grated old cheddar
salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
Chop the bacon into ~1" slices, and cook in a cast iron (or other heavy, not non-stick, oven-safe frying pan or skillet) until crispy-ish.  I don't like my bacon too crispy, so feel free to cook it to your taste instead of mine :)  Meanwhile, peel and grate the potatoes, and place into salted cold water to prevent browning.  Just before the bacon is done, drain the potatoes well, squeezing out excess water.  Grate the onions, and mix with the potatoes.  Remove the cooked bacon from the pan, and drain off the fat, keeping ~2 tablespoons in the pan.  Add the potato and onion mixture, spreading out into an even layer.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bake for 20 minutes (note:  the potatoes were a bit chewy, so next time I will either use fewer, or bake for 5-10 minutes longer).  Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a measuring cup, and add water (or milk) to measure 2 cups final volume (note:  I only had 6 eggs, and you can easily use more, just bake for longer).  Remove the pan from the oven, and sprinkle the bacon in an even layer, followed by the cheese.  Pour the eggs over the top, return to the oven, and bake for 15 minutes, or until set.  Remove from oven, let cool for ~5 minutes, slice and serve.


The verdict:  It's good.  Not great, but good for a first attempt. I was trying to get a crispier crust, and it's flatter than I wanted, but fewer potatoes and more eggs should solve that.  The one thing that did surprise me was the cooking time.  35 minutes for what amounts to an omelette with fried potatoes is a bit much, but if it stores and re-heats well, spending 35 minutes to make a week's worth of breakfasts may be doable.  The one thing I like is that it is infinitely adaptable, according to how many potatoes, eggs, and extras you have on hand.  It's a "Clean out your fridge" recipe :)
 

Modifications:  I can easily see this in many different variations, depending on what is in the fridge.  Basically, whatever rocks your omelette world can be used in this recipe.  Sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese?  Sounds great!  Green peppers, mushrooms and ham?  Fantastic!  Got some greens, like spinach or Swiss chard?  Toss 'em in.  Caramelized onions and Gruyere cheese?  That sounds so good, it gives me the shivers :)  Served with a green salad, this could make a great brunch option, or even a light supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...