Independence Days Challenge - Week 3

1. Plant Something.

Yes - four varieties of onions, leeks and celery!



2. Harvest Something.

Nada. It's still February!

3. Preserve Something.

Nothing this week.

4. Waste Not.

Just adding more scraps to the stock pot (ha!).

5. Want Not.

Nothing. The sales haven't been good enough for me to buy anything, and I don't really need much of anything (other than perishables, of course).

6. Eat the Food.

I made a big batch of vegetable soup, mostly from pantry or freezer items, this week. I ate more than that, of course, but for the life of me, I can't remember what. I think maybe I need to start tracking my meals, so I can assess how well I am at eating local foods?

7. Build Community Food Systems.

Nothing this week.

8. Skill Up.

Again with the books!


My local used book store is a treasure trove of old books. The "Putting Food By" is the 1975 edition, and I know I'll have to double check processing times, but the recipes and instructions were worth the $10 price tag, at least to me. And the sausage book - written in 1969, by an apparent comedian (quote: "When wurst comes to wurst"), it is a fantastic glimpse into the past as far as sausages go. It has both recipes for making different types of sausage and for cooking with sausage. The sausage making recipes are a bit vague, but the others are great, and at $3.50, it's the cheapest cookbook I've ever bought!

I've added a page with a list of other blogs participating in the challenge, so please, go check them out as well, and if I've missed any, please let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jessie! I have to limit myself at the bookstore - there are so MANY old books that catch my eye! And you're on the IDC blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    found you whilst blog hopping. Having a little look around

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...