Local blogs and garden clubs

A commenter asked the following on my Seedy Saturday Post:

"I moved to this area just under a year ago, so I was very happy to find your blog and also thrilled to see how much is going on in this area. Can I ask please, how you find out about these events? Finding that I had a CSA just a few blocks away from me made me very happy, but I'd love to find out if there are any other like-minded groups - in London I was part of a Post-Carbon group and it was a relief to be able to talk about Stuff."

So, instead of answering Jess (Hi Jess - thanks for commenting!!) in the comments, I thought I'd put the answer here, just in case anyone else found it helpful.

Most of my local information comes from two sources: Tiffany Mayer's Eating Niagara blog and Linda's Tree & Twig Farm blog.

I highly recommend both of those blogs for local readers.

I also belong to a local garden club, which has numerous benefits, including a plant sale every May and a great discount at local plant nurseries. The one I belong to is the Ridgeway & District Garden Club. Meetings are held the second Wednesday of most months (except January, February and August), and this year's annual meeting is March 14. There is always a great speaker, door prizes, food and more - all for a $10 annual membership. While the focus of the club tends to be more ornamentals, there is a lot of combined knowledge among the members - and we are always looking for more!

The meetings are all free for anyone to attend and are held at the Stevensville Memorial Hall starting at 6:30 (I think  - will verify later Coffee and snacks are served at 6:30, the meeting starts at 7 pm). Please, if you are all interested, come on out - I'm always looking for more like-minded people as well (we seem to be few and far between down here!), and I'd love to meet up with local readers!

And if anyone else has a local blog, please let me know :)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I'll definitely check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Let me know if you are going to the meeting, and we can meet in person!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...