Independence Days Challenge - Week 7

Not much going on this week, except garden clean-up! The weeds took over the garden this winter!!

1. Plant Something.

Lettuce, chard, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, kale, collards, radishes, turnip, rutabaga, cauliflower - all in the garden. In March. Yes, I know I could lose everything, but to me, it's worth the risk, since the weather this year has been SO warm!

2. Harvest Something.

Nothing.

3. Preserve Something.


Nothing.


4. Waste Not.

Other than adding odds and ends to the stock stash in the freezer, nothing.

5. Want Not.

Nothing.

6. Eat the Food.

I finally roasted on of my $30 chickens - and wow, was it good!! The bones are in the freezer, waiting to be made into stock.

7. Build Community Food Systems.

Nothing.

8. Skill Up.

Nothing.

4 comments:

  1. So great to have seeds in the ground already and that's an impressive list! It's raining here this morning which is great because we needed it but I wish I'd gotten my seeds in- I was hoping to get to it this week but never had a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And I have to admit - this challenge is the impetus I need to do things like that: the thought of having nothing to report motivates me :)

      I still have more things I want to plant, like peas, but didn't get a change to clear the rest of the beds, and now, it looks like I'll have to wait a few more days. But, we need the rain, so I won't complain too much!

      Delete
  2. I'm curious as to your plans to build community food systems?

    Do you think the library would consider a film series on End of Suburbia and other related subjects with maybe a led-discussion afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, that is my weakest item on this list :) I think a film series is a GREAT idea. If you want to work together on this, send me an e-mail - there is a link to the e-mail on my profile - click on the picture of the Kipper Dog up there on the right :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...