$500 Challenge - August edition, with special guest appearance by July.

Oh, wow - time has flown.  I had planned what I was going to get for the challenge for July and August a while ago, but put it off, since getting the items meant either paying shipping, or making a special trip to two different stores, close to each other, but about an hour away from here. 

Procrastination pays, since it ended up I needed to make a trip for another reason that would result in me driving right by these stores - so, no shipping costs, and no special trip required.  Yay!

So, without further ado, I give you July:  cutting boards.  Exciting, no? 

Like many other people, I seem to have amassed a collection of plastic cutting boards.  There is SO much information on cutting board safety out there, and so much of it is either not backed up by real science, or contradictory.  I've come to the conclusion that there are pros and cons to all materials, and so, I'll stick with wood - and just make sure the boards are cleaned well after use.  After all, wood is natural, renewable, and great for knives - the opposite of plastic.  So I made a trip to Ikea to pick up a couple of different sizes of cutting boards - the large one I plan on leaving on the counter for quick use for things that can be easily cleaned up (like bread), and smaller ones for meat, etc.

Small boards, pack of two, $6.99
Large board, $19.99
The large board is well made, and should last quite a long time, while the smaller boards are pretty much worth what I paid for them.  I'll try giving them a light sanding, and treating with food-safe oil, and hopefully that will extend their life.  


And August?  well, around here, August is canning season, so what better than to replace my old plastic canning funnel with a shiny new stainless steel one?  I've had my eye on this for a while, and I'm glad I could "justify" buying it for this challenge! 
Funnel, $11.50
And of course, I always love an excuse to go to Lee Valley :)
 
 
July costs (cutting board): $26.989 + $3.51 tax
Total: $30.49
Balance: $91.52
 
August costs (funnel): $11.50 + $1.50 tax
Total: $13.00
Balance: $78.04
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...